DENVER, CO – Denverites welcome fans from near and far to the 2021 Major League Baseball All-Star Game, due to be played Tuesday at Coors Field.
Bars, restaurants, and venues across town are hosting All-Star Game Week events, and Denver Mayor Michael Hancock said he was “more than excited” about the economic boost the game is bringing.
“After a long, hard year and a half, summer energy has returned in Denver. Our residents and our companies know this is a phenomenal way to celebrate this special moment in our lives, ”Hancock said during a press conference on Wednesday.
Reed Saunders, speaker for the Colorado Rockies, also greeted the fans during the press conference.
“I’m a native of Colorado – I’ve been here … lucky enough to be the younger, thinner version of myself in the stands for the All-Star Game in 1998 and here as part of it in 2021.” The All-Star Game of the year as a member of the team is pretty exciting for me, “Saunders said.
Road closures in Denver
Hancock urged people to use public transit this week, but if you do have to drive there are some major road closures to be aware of:
The streets are completely closed on Friday until 6:00 p.m.
- 14th Street: Stout Street to Welton Street.
- Welton Street: 12th Street to 14th Street.
The following sections are only accessible for local transport:
- 14th Street: Glenarm Street to Welton Street
- Welton Street: 14th Street to 15th Street
- California Street: 14th Street to 15th Street
Road closures on Tuesday in Coors Field:
- Market Street: 20th Street to 22nd Street
- Blake Street: 20th Street to 22nd Street
- 21st Street: Blake Street to Market Street
Tuesday closings in the sponsor zone:
- Blake Street: 20th Street to 21st Street
Full closures shown in red; Yellow means the streets are only open for local access:
Image courtesy of the city and county of Denver.
Don’t miss the latest Denver news: Free Denver Patch Newsletters and Email Alerts | Facebook | Twitter
RTD customers can plan their trips to the city center here to find timetables and ticket options.
The 16th Street Mall Ride is a free hybrid vehicle that drives up and down the downtown Denver retail core. Take the ride at every intersection on 16th Street between Civic Center Station and Union Station – both stops provide access to other bus and train routes. Coors Field is several blocks from 16th Street.
The 91st MLB All-Star Game is slated to begin at 5:30 p.m. at Coors Field, but here are some other events scheduled:
- BallPark Collective Stars and Stripes Streetfest, Tuesday
- MLB All-Star Play Ball Park: 10:00 am to 8:00 pm, Colorado Convention Center
- MLB All-Star Sponsor Zone, 12:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., Xcel-Lot (Blake Street and 20./21.)
- 2021 MLB Draft (Day 3), 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m., Rally Hotel Lobby
- All-Star Red (Purple) Carpet Show, 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., Wynkoop Promenade
>> MLB event tickets can be purchased here.
The full American and National League squads for the Midsummer Classic at Coors Field can be found here.
Hancock urged fans to get vaccinated before celebrating the all-star game. Those who are not vaccinated are asked to wear masks and practice social distancing.
>> Find out more about the MLB All-Star Week here.